Sickness benefits

Sick pay and sickness benefit

If you are employed by a Swedish employer for at least a month or have worked for a continuous period of 14 days you are entitled to sick pay from the employer for the first 14 days of a sickness period. The first day is a waiting period when no compensation is paid.

What does the benefit comprise?

The sick pay is 80 per cent of the pay for days 2-14. If you are ill for a period longer than two weeks, the employer no longer needs to pay sick pay. Instead you get sickness benefit from Försäkringskassan, the Swedish Social Insurance Agency. The employer then submits a report to Försäkringskassan.

What are the rules?

It is Försäkringskassan that considers the entitlement to sickness benefit. There are various rules when calculating the sickness benefit for employees and self-employed persons. The sickness benefit is calculated per hour, day or calendar day depending on how you work. You may receive a quarter, half, three-quarters or full sickness benefit depending on how much you need to stay away from work. Försäkringskassan tests the entitlement to sickness benefit and decides whether you have the possibility of fully or partly doing your work despite your illness. To confirm the degree of reduction of work capacity you need to submit a doctor’s note to Försäkringskassan from the 8th day of the sickness period.

Sickness and activity compensation

Försäkringskassan may replace the sickness benefit with sickness or activity compensation. This comes into force when Försäkringskassan makes the assessment that the capacity to work is reduced by at least a quarter because of the illness. The capacity to work is also considered to be reduced for at least a year ahead. All opportunities for rehabilitation shall be tested. Sickness compensation can be received if you are aged between 30 and 64. Activity compensation can be received if you are aged between 19 and 29.

What does the compensation comprise?

Both sickness and activity compensation comprise income-related compensation based on previous income. If you have had no income or very low income you may receive a guarantee benefit.

Occupational injury

Occupational injury insurance covers all who are gainfully employed – employees, contractors and self-employed persons. If you suffer an injury at the workplace or on your way to and from work, you may receive compensation from occupational injury insurance. Compensation can be in the form of sickness benefit, an annuity or compensation for care costs. Survivors may receive compensation.

Health and dental care

If you are registered or work in Sweden as a Nordic citizen you are also covered by public health care. Normally you will be required to pay a patient charge at each visit. Health care is administrated by the regional county councils. Dental care in Sweden is free up to the age of 19. You are then covered by dental care insurance which means that you do not need to pay the entire cost of your dental care. You pay a patient’s fee and Försäkringskassan the rest.